May 27, 2024

Crisis Track

What is Crisis Track?

  • Crisis Track is a disaster management tool that allows County Emergency Managers, State Public Assistance staff, and staff from PA eligible entities to gather and share information on damages caused by disasters in our state.

How can you access Crisis Track?

  • Staff from PA eligible entities can request access to their county’s Crisis Track account from their County EM or SD OEM PA staff. Anyone granted access to Crisis Track will be required to set up a MySD account through the State of SD. Once your account is set up, you can access Crisis Track on-line at or through the Crisis Track mobile app.

Who should set up a Crisis Track account?

  • Anyone in your entity who would normally report damages to the County or State when there is a disaster. This can include, but is not limited to: County Highway personnel, City street and utility department personnel, Town and Township clerks or supervisors, and Road District clerks or supervisors.

Can you use Crisis Track to report damages if you don’t have an account?

  • Yes. During an incident, County Emergency Managers and State PA staff can send out a link to a Crisis Track Self-Report form, and anyone with the link can report damages.

What kind of damages can be reported in Crisis Track?

  • Damages to Public and Private infrastructure can be reported through Crisis Track. This can include, but is not limited to, damage to roads, culverts, bridges, dams, buildings, utilities, parks, equipment, vehicles, and homes.

Is there a fee to use Crisis Track?

  • No. The State of South Dakota has paid for each County to have an account in Crisis Track. Users in the County can access and utilize Crisis Track free of charge.

Will Crisis Track work anywhere in the State?

  • Yes. Users can download the Crisis Track mobile app to their phone or tablet and opt to use the app offline in areas with little to no service or internet connectivity. Data will be stored on your device until you are back in an area with connectivity and it can be uploaded to Crisis Track.

What happens after damages are reported in Crisis Track?

  • County EM staff will review submitted damage information and notify State PA staff that it is ready for validation. State PA will validate the submitted damage reports and determine if individual counties have met their damage threshold. If county and State damage thresholds are met, the Governor can use information collected in Crisis Track to request a Presidential Disaster Declaration.

What happens to the damage reports submitted in Crisis Track after they’ve been reviewed?

  • If the State requests, and is granted, a Federal Disaster Declaration, all the information submitted in Crisis Track can be used by eligible applicants of the disaster to create their Damage Inventory Worksheets and help formulate their projects.

Who has access to the information that is reported in Crisis Track?

  • The user who submitted the damage information, the Emergency Manager of the County the damages were reported in, State PA staff, and FEMA PA staff.

What documentation is required in order to submit damages in Crisis Track?

  • The documentation that is required during a Preliminary Damage Assessment (PDA) is what needs to be uploaded to Crisis Track. For each damaged facility that is submitted, users must include: GPS coordinates for the damage location, a detailed description of the damage, at least two photos of each damage location, dimensions of the damaged facility, approximate repair cost for the damaged facility, and contact information of the person submitting the damage.

Is there information already preloaded in Crisis Track?

  • Yes. County, city, town, township, and district boundaries are already pre-loaded in Crisis Track. Information from the SDLTAP small structure inventory, road, bridge, and culvert information, and weighted average costs for standard gravel base and fill material are also pre-loaded for the entire State. Individual counties have also provided additional information that auto populates structure and cost information on Crisis Track forms.

Are their Crisis Track trainings available?

  • Yes. State and County staff will host hands on training sessions across the State. Interested users should reach out to their County EM or State PA staff to find out when and where the next available training will be held. Additionally, there is a section on the SD DPS website with training information, including video tutorials, presentations and handouts

If you submit damages through Crisis Track during a PDA, are you automatically eligible if a Federal Disaster Declaration is granted?

  • No. If a Federal Disaster is declared for our State, you will still need to submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA) through Grants Portal in order to be considered an eligible applicant for the disaster.

Can you use the damage information in Crisis Track in Grants Portal?

  • Yes. The damage information entered in Crisis Track can be downloaded onto a worksheet that can then be uploaded to Grants Portal to use for your Damage Inventory. You can also put information regarding labor and equipment into Crisis Track and use that to track hours and costs for disaster projects.

Can Crisis Track be used after a PDA is over?

  • Yes. Users can upload employee, labor, and equipment information into Crisis Track and use the software to track costs and project information. Crisis Track can also be utilized for debris monitoring operations, road closure tracking, and other workflow operations.

Can Crisis Track be used even if there’s not an active incident available?

  • Yes. Staff with Administrator accounts can load data, set up teams and tasks, and send in GIS information at any time.

What is the ultimate goal of using Crisis Track in South Dakota?

  • Ultimately, SD OEM wants to completely digitize our PDA process. By eliminating paper forms and documentation during the PDA process, we can streamline PDAs and allow for faster data analysis and easier data sharing between county, state, and Federal staff. This will help speed up the process of requesting a disaster declaration, and help get disaster applicants projects and funding at a faster pace.


For more information, please contact the SD OEM Public Assistance team at 605-773-3231, or visit us online at