The Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) of Clay County is a group of responders and citizens that help oversee the Hazardous Materials within the County pursuant to the Sara Title III Program.
A variety of hazardous materials are transported, stored, and used within Clay County on a daily basis. The hazardous materials include toxic chemicals, flammable liquids / gases and radioactive material. These hazardous materials are used in agriculture, industry, business, and other commercial / domestic applications.
When properly used, applied, controlled, and contained, the hazardous materials can be beneficial to our society. When improperly handled or accidentally released, they pose a threat to life, property, and the environment. A fast and efficient response is imperative to effectively manage and mitigate the effects of an incident. Inadequate response and recovery operations can be very costly in terms of lives, dollars, and environmental damage. Most hazardous materials incidents will require a multi-disciplinary approach with all responders participating in a well-coordinated effort.
The objectives of the LEPC are as follows.
- To identify the facilities and transportation routes where hazardous materials are present.
- To establish emergency response procedures, including evacuation plans, for dealing with accidental chemical releases.
- To designate a community coordinator and facility coordinators to carry out the plan.
- To set up notification procedures for those who will respond to a hazmat incident.
- To establish methods for determining the occurrence and severity of a release and the areas and populations likely to be affected.
- To identify the emergency equipment available in the community, including equipment at each facility.
- To establish ways to notify the public of a release.
- To train local emergency response and medical workers to respond to chemical emergencies.
- To establish methods and schedules for conducting exercises to test elements of the plan.
2018 Meeting Schedule
- January 9, 2020 – Red Steakhouse, Vermillion, 12:00 pm
- April 9, 2020 – Zoom Meeting, 12:00 pm, if you would like to sit in, here is the link. https://zoom.us/j/163155867
- July 9, 2020 – Mexico Viejo, Vermillion, 12:00 pm
- October 8, 2020 – Pizza Ranch, Vermillion, 12:00 pm
The LEPC meets quarterly at various locations. These meetings are open to the public. If you have questions or wish to be a part of the LEPC, contact Layne Stewart at 605.677.7185.